Dental Implants in Vail, AZ
We believe in judgement-free dentistry.
Welcome to Vail Family Dentistry’s Guide to Dental Implants in Vail, AZ
At Vail Family Dentistry, we believe in the power of a healthy, confident smile. This webpage is designed to provide you with essential information about dental implants, helping you make informed decisions for your oral health. Have a look at the information and give us call to schedule a consultation to see if dental implants are right for you.
What Are Dental Implants?
Understanding Dental Implants:
Dental implants are a revolutionary solution for missing teeth. They consist of small, sturdy titanium posts that are surgically placed into the jawbone. Over time, these posts fuse with the bone, creating a strong foundation for replacement teeth. This process, known as osseointegration, makes dental implants the closest thing to natural teeth in terms of strength and durability.
Components of Dental Implants:
- The Implant: A titanium post that serves as the root of your new tooth.
- The Abutment: A connector, placed on top of the implant, to hold and support the crown.
- The Crown: The part of the implant that looks like a tooth, usually made of ceramic or porcelain.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Natural Look and Feel: Implants are designed to look, feel, and function like your natural teeth.
- Improved Oral Health: Unlike bridges, implants do not require altering nearby teeth, preserving more of your natural tooth structure.
- Durability and Reliability: With proper care, implants can last a lifetime.
- Improved Comfort and Speech: Implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures and improve your ability to speak clearly.
- Convenience: Implants eliminate the need for messy adhesives required for dentures.
- Bone Health: They stimulate and preserve natural bone, preventing bone loss.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dental Implants
What is the dental implant process at Vail Family Dentistry?
The process at our practice is designed with your comfort and convenience in mind.
- Initial Consultation: Our team at Vail Family Dentistry will conduct a thorough examination, including X-rays or 3D images, and discuss your medical history to determine if implants are right for you.
- Treatment Planning: We tailor a plan specific to your needs, considering factors like the number of teeth to be replaced and the condition of your jawbone.
- Implant Placement: The implant is surgically placed into the jawbone. This procedure is typically performed under local anesthesia.
- Healing and Osseointegration: The healing process can take several weeks to months, as the implant fuses with your jawbone.
- Abutment Placement: Once healing is complete, the abutment is attached to the implant.
- Placing the Crown: Finally, the custom-made crown is attached to the abutment, completing your smile.
What is the aftercare for dental implants?
Here are the main points when it comes to aftercare for the dental implants procedure.
- Regular Dental Check-ups: Regular visits to Vail Family Dentistry are essential for the longevity of your implants.
- Oral Hygiene: Brush twice a day, floss daily, and consider using an antimicrobial mouthwash.
- Avoid Hard Foods: While implants are durable, it’s advisable to avoid very hard foods that might damage the crown.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking can adversely affect the health of your implant.
Are dental implants right for me?
Ideal Candidates for Implants:
- Adults with one or more missing teeth.
- Individuals with a fully grown jawbone.
- Non-smokers or those willing to quit smoking.
- Those without health conditions that affect bone healing.
- People willing to commit several months to the process.
Can dental implants be used for multiple missing teeth or full arch replacements?
Absolutely. Dental implants can replace a single tooth, multiple teeth, or even a full arch. For multiple missing teeth, implant-supported bridges or dentures can be an effective solution.
How long does the entire dental implant process take at Vail Family Dentistry?
The duration varies depending on individual cases. Typically, the process can take anywhere from three to nine months. This includes the initial consultation, the implant surgery, the healing period, and the placement of the crown. Our team ensures each step is done with utmost care for the best results.
Is the success rate for dental implants high?
Yes, dental implants have a high success rate, generally above 95%. Factors like good oral hygiene, overall health, and following post-surgery instructions play a crucial role in the success of the implants.
Will I feel pain during the dental implant procedure?
At Vail Family Dentistry, we ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. The surgery is performed under local anesthesia, so you shouldn’t feel pain during the implantation. Post-surgery, any discomfort is typically mild and manageable with prescribed pain relievers.
Can anyone get dental implants, or are there certain restrictions?
Most adults with good general and oral health are suitable candidates for implants. However, certain conditions like uncontrolled diabetes, cancer, radiation to the jaws, smoking, alcoholism, or uncontrolled periodontal (gum) disease may require additional evaluation. We assess every patient’s health history to ensure the best outcome.
The best way to determine if you’re a candidate is to schedule a consultation at Vail Family Dentistry. We will conduct a thorough examination, including X-rays, and discuss your medical history to evaluate if dental implants are suitable for you.
Learn more about Dental Implants at Vail Family Dentistry
A bridge is a restoration for two or more missing teeth in a row. Common restorations like fixed bridges or removable partials can cause the surrounding bone to weaken because they are dependent on adjacent teeth for support. However, implant-supported bridges integrate with the natural bone, providing a much stronger and more natural restoration.
A dental crown is a restoration that replaces the top part of the tooth. A single tooth that needs to be completely replaced can be restored utilizing an implant-supported crown. The crown is typically made of porcelain, giving the restoration a natural look.
An implant-supported denture is a type of overdenture (a removable partial denture or a complete denture that covers and rests on one or more remaining natural teeth, the roots of natural teeth, and/or dental implants) that is supported by, and attached to, implants. A regular denture rests on the gums and is not supported by implants.
Individual Dental Implants
A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically positioned into the jawbone beneath the gum line to replace the tooth's root. It is then topped with a crown after healing to provide the appearance of a natural, healthy tooth. If you're considering implants, you must have healthy gums and a jaw bone that is strong enough to secure and support the post.
Implants vs. Bridges
Dental implants are the next best thing to your healthy, natural teeth. Strong and stable, a dental implant restores a lost tooth so that it looks, feels, fits and functions like a natural tooth when implanted by your dentist. While dental implants may need periodic adjustments, they can last a lifetime when properly placed and cared for over time.
A featured review of Vail Family Dentistry from a Vail, AZ dental patient neighbor.
“An Awesome Experience!”
// Family Dentistry in Vail, AZ
How can we support your family's dental health?
Pediatric and Family Dentistry
We love kids! Setting your children on the path to a lifetime of great dental health is a great passion of ours. We take our role in the community seriously and look forward to serving your entire family. LEARN ABOUT OUR APPROACH TO FAMILY DENTISTRY...
Full Mouth Restoration
Have missing or bad teeth? We can restore your smile with dental implants. Eat what you want again and smile with confidence. LEARN ABOUT DENTAL IMPLANTS...
You can finally get the Smile Of Your Dreams with expert cosmetic dentistry techniques from Vail Family Dentistry. MORE ON COSMETIC DENTISTRY...
Contact Us Now For General Dental Services
Our friendly, state-of-the-art dental office with multiple dentists and a fully trained dental staff is the perfect Vail, AZ dental office to come for all your family's general dentistry needs. Contact us today to let us know how we can serve you. CONTACT US NOW
Follow Vail Family Dentistry Now!
We invite the entire community to visit our social media channels and keep up to date on our dental practice events, dental patient case studies, video posts and much more!